How can I move into counselling?

first_img Previous Article Next Article Ihave 10 years experience as an HR generalist and am currently employed as a HRconsultant working on bid and transition work. I would like to move into thearea of counselling, mentoring or behaviour. How should I progress?VicDaniels, director at Carr-Lyons, writes:Iam afraid there is no easy answer on this one. It is quite often difficult tomove within HR disciplines by moving job. HR professionals often find it easierto transfer within their current employment. But having said this, counselling.mentoring and behavioural issues are very much in vogue, so look at theadvertisements in the national and specialised press and speak to your favouredrecruitment consultants to test the water.MargaretMalpas, joint managing director of Malpas Flexible Learning, writes:In10 years you have probably done quite a lot of informal counselling, soidentify this experience and make something of it on your CV.  Then youcould try applying for jobs in this area.Interms of specific training, you might want to look at the Diploma inCounselling or NLP courses.  These may help you to be sure that thisreally is what you want to do.PeterLewis, consultant at Chiumento Consulting Group, writes:Acounselling course could help you make the career transition you seek and giveyou a platform from which you can build experience. Counselling courses are runby companies as well as adult education and can be undertaken part-time. Inchoosing between them you first need to think about what sort of counsellingyou wish to practise. For example, whether to focus on problem solving or onenhancing performance and potential. If the latter, you may wish to take anadditional course in mentoring or obtain experience as a mentor. The CIPDoffers mentoring opportunities via its branch network.Ifyou decide on a counselling course, you may need to decide whether you wish tostudy one counselling approach such as person-centred or psychodynamic, orstudy with an organisation that has an inclusive approach which covers allmodels, albeit in less depth.Whatevercourse you take, it should be accredited by the BAC (British Association forCounselling) and, as it seems that you wish to practice in an organisationalcontext, cover key contracting issues such as confidentiality and timescale. Oncequalified, you will find that you have a number of options. Some people moveinto career counselling, for which 10 years’ HR experience is useful. Companiesin this field often offer work on an associate basis and, importantly, providefurther in-house training. The coaching / mentoring field too appears to begrowing.Youmay also wish to look at the BPS Level A and B qualifications. This willinvolve an investment by you but could provide you with extra skills to assistyou in either counselling or mentoring. Related posts:No related photos. How can I move into counselling?On 24 Jul 2001 in Personnel Today Comments are closed. last_img